Video games for kids can be a fun and engaging way for children to exercise their imagination and creativity. However, not all video games are created equal when it comes to encouraging these qualities in kids. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 video games for kids that specifically focus on promoting creativity and imagination. From building their own worlds to designing their own characters, these video games for kids offer a fun and exciting way for children to express themselves while also developing important skills.
Video Games for Kids
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Starting off our top 5 list of video games for kids is Yoshi’s Crafted World, a 2.5D side-scrolling platform game developed by Good-Feel and published by Nintendo. The game follows the adventures of Yoshi, a friendly dinosaur, as he travels through a colorful world made entirely of everyday craft materials like cardboard, fabric, and paper.
In the game, players control Yoshi as he runs, jumps, and throws eggs at enemies to progress through various levels. The game features both single-player and cooperative multiplayer modes, where players can team up with a friend to play the game together.
The game’s levels are designed to be replayed, with hidden collectibles scattered throughout each level. The game also features several different costumes that Yoshi can wear, each with its own unique abilities.
The story of the game revolves around Baby Bowser and Kamek, who have stolen a magical gemstone from Yoshi’s island. Yoshi must travel through several different worlds, defeat bosses, and collect the gemstones to restore peace to his homeland.
Overall, Yoshi’s Crafted World is a charming and family-friendly video game for kids that offers a fun and engaging experience for players of all ages.
Here are the top 5 reasons this game is a great video game for kids:
- Simple Controls: The game’s controls are simple and easy to learn, with basic actions like running, jumping, and throwing eggs. This makes it easy for young children to pick up and play without feeling overwhelmed or frustrated.
- Colorful and Kid-Friendly Graphics: The game features bright and colorful graphics that are appealing to young children. The use of craft materials like cardboard, fabric, and paper also creates a whimsical and playful atmosphere that is sure to delight young players.
- Cooperative Multiplayer: The game has a cooperative multiplayer mode that allows two players to play together on the same screen. This is a great way for parents to play along with their children and help them through some of the more challenging parts of the game.
- Non-Violent Gameplay: The game’s gameplay is non-violent, with enemies being defeated by throwing eggs or jumping on them. This makes it a great option for parents who are looking for games that are not overly violent or aggressive.
- Promotes Problem-Solving and Exploration: The game features levels that encourage exploration and problem-solving. Children will need to use their critical thinking skills to find hidden items and collectibles, which can help them develop their cognitive abilities.
Minecraft Dungeons is an action-adventure game set in the Minecraft universe, developed by Mojang Studios and Double Eleven. The game features a cooperative multiplayer mode that allows up to four players to embark on a quest to save the realm from an evil Arch-Illager.
Players explore procedurally generated levels, fight against a variety of monsters, and collect loot to upgrade their gear and abilities. The game also features a leveling system, enchantments, and artifacts that offer unique abilities and skills to players.
The game’s story follows the Arch-Illager, a corrupted villager with powerful magical abilities, who seeks to conquer the land by controlling an army of monsters. Players take on the role of a hero tasked with defeating the Arch-Illager and his minions.
Minecraft Dungeons received generally positive reviews for its fun gameplay, satisfying combat, and charming visuals. This video game for kids is available on multiple platforms, including Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
Here are 5 reasons this is on our top 5 video games for kids list:
- Simple Gameplay: The game’s controls are easy to understand and the gameplay is relatively straightforward, making it accessible to young children.
- Colorful and Engaging World: Minecraft Dungeons features a vibrant and visually appealing world with colorful characters, creatures, and environments that can captivate the attention of young children.
- Cooperative Play: The game’s cooperative multiplayer mode allows parents or siblings to play alongside the child, promoting teamwork and socialization.
- Non-Violent Combat: The combat in Minecraft Dungeons is non-gory and cartoonish, with enemies disappearing in a puff of smoke when defeated. This can make it less intimidating for young children.
- Positive Themes: Minecraft Dungeons promotes positive themes such as teamwork, bravery, and heroism, which can help instill important values in young children. The game also has a strong emphasis on environmentalism, as players are encouraged to preserve and protect the game’s virtual world. This can help foster a sense of responsibility and respect for nature in children.
Bonus! Each week there is a brand new “Tower” released. This means that no matter what, you always have unique gameplay that never gets boring. This game is great for moms and dads who want to play with their children.
Minecraft (the original)
Minecraft is a video game that allows players to create and explore virtual worlds using a variety of blocks and tools. It is a game that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, including children.
One of the main features of Minecraft is its open-ended gameplay, which encourages players to use their creativity and imagination to build and explore. Players can gather resources, such as wood and stone, to craft items and construct buildings. They can also explore different biomes and encounter a variety of creatures, some of which are friendly while others pose a threat.
Minecraft can be a great tool for children to develop problem-solving skills, spatial awareness, and creativity. It also promotes socialization and teamwork, as players can work together to build and explore.
Parents should be aware that Minecraft is an online game that allows players to interact with others online. While Minecraft has built-in safety features, it is important for parents to monitor their child’s online activity and educate them about online safety.
Overall, Minecraft is a fun and engaging game that can provide children with a variety of benefits, including improved cognitive skills and socialization. However, it is important for parents to be involved and monitor their child’s gameplay to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
The top 5 reasons made our video games for kids list:
- Encourages Creativity: Minecraft’s open-ended gameplay encourages children to use their imagination and creativity to build and explore their own virtual worlds.
- Develops Problem-Solving Skills: Minecraft requires players to solve problems and challenges, such as building shelter, finding food, and defending against monsters. This can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Promotes Socialization: Minecraft’s multiplayer mode allows kids to interact with others and work together to achieve goals. This can help develop social skills and teamwork abilities.
- Enhances Learning: Minecraft has educational benefits as it can help teach children about science, engineering, and math through the game’s mechanics.
- Safe Environment: Minecraft has built-in safety features, including the ability to restrict online access and monitor playtime, making it a safe environment for kids to play and explore.
Ark: Survival Evolved
When you think “video games for kids,” you don’t necessarily think “rated M games.” I know, I know. But hear me out. ARK: Survival Evolved is a multiplayer survival game set in an open-world environment with prehistoric creatures. Developed by Studio Wildcard, the game is available on various platforms, including PC, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch.
In the game, players wake up stranded and naked on an island, where they must gather resources, build shelters, and craft weapons to survive against the island’s dangerous wildlife and other players. The game features over 80 species of dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures, which can be tamed, bred, and ridden.
ARK: Survival Evolved also includes role-playing elements, such as character customization and skill trees, allowing players to tailor their characters to fit their playstyle. Players can also form tribes and work together to build and defend bases, adding a social aspect to the game.
The game has received both positive and negative reviews, with critics praising the game’s immersive gameplay, graphics, and dinosaur-taming mechanics, but criticizing its steep learning curve and technical issues.
Ark is definitely one of those games that can get really inappropriate for kids, really quickly. There’s no doubt about that. But just like how Minecraft can go from harvesting dirt to teaching kids about necromancy, as long as you’re involved as a parent, it can be a great game to play as a family, especially split screen.
Here are the top 5 reasons Ark: Survival Evolved is good for kids:
- Educational Value: ARK: Survival Evolved has an educational value as it can help children learn about survival skills, and what it takes to survive in the outdoors.
- Encourages Critical Thinking: The game requires players to make strategic decisions, plan ahead, and manage resources, which can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Teaches Responsibility: ARK: Survival Evolved has a taming and breeding mechanic that requires players to take care of animals, including feeding, protecting, and breeding them. This can help teach children about responsibility and animal care.
- Builds Social Skills: The game’s multiplayer mode encourages players to work together to build and defend bases, fostering teamwork and social skills. IMO, with most kids, you’ll probably want to stick to local games and play with mom or dad. Online play has a lot of great features and good people, but you just never know for certain.
- Promotes Creativity: ARK: Survival Evolved’s open-world environment allows for creativity and imagination, as players can build their own structures and develop their own strategies to survive in the game.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Kirby and the Forgotten Land is an action-platformer video game that follows Kirby, a pink, round creature with the ability to inhale enemies and copy their abilities. Developed by HAL Laboratory and published by Nintendo, the game was released exclusively for the Nintendo Switch console in the Fall of 2022.
In the game, players control Kirby as he travels through the post-apocalyptic world of the Forgotten Land, battling enemies and collecting secrets along the way. One of the unique features of Kirby and the Forgotten Land is the ability to combine Kirby’s copy abilities to create new, more powerful abilities.
The game also features a co-op mode, allowing players to team up with a friend and play through the game together. In addition, there are various collectibles and secrets hidden throughout the game, which encourage exploration and discovery.
Overall, Kirby and the Forgotten Land is a great addition to the Kirby series, with its unique post-apocalyptic setting, creative copy ability combinations, and co-op mode. It is sure to be a hit among fans of the series and newcomers alike.
Here are the top 5 reasons that Kirby and the Forgotten Land is good for kids:
- Accessible and Easy to Play: Kirby and the Forgotten Land is easy to pick up and play, making it accessible to younger children. The controls are simple, and the game is designed with intuitive gameplay that is easy to understand.
- Encourages Creativity: The game’s open-world environment allows for creativity and imagination, as players can build their own strategies to navigate through levels and solve puzzles. Kids can use their own creativity and problem-solving skills to complete levels and find hidden treasures.
- Teaches Social Skills: The game’s co-op mode encourages players to work together to complete levels and solve puzzles, fostering teamwork and social skills.
- Promotes Critical Thinking: Kirby and the Forgotten Land requires players to use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to navigate through levels and defeat enemies. This helps develop children’s analytical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Offers Positive Messages: The game is filled with positive messages, such as the importance of teamwork, cooperation, and the power of friendship. These messages can help teach children valuable life lessons while having fun playing the game.
Video games for kids can provide a valuable outlet for creativity and imagination. With the right games, children can exercise their problem-solving skills, express themselves through design and art, and explore new worlds and ideas. The top 5 video games for kids that we’ve highlighted in this article are just a few examples of the many options available.
As always, it’s important to choose age-appropriate games and to monitor your child’s gaming habits. But with the right guidance and selection, video games for kids can be a fun and beneficial way to encourage creativity and imagination.
For more great gaming news, tips, and reviews, check us out at Shark Games.